Sunday, November 29, 2009

Logitech QuickCam causes boot failure

I'm furious! I just wasted 2 hours of my precious life. I boot my machine only when i really have too, usually every ~1 month or so.

So the other day i installed a PCI card (some TV tuner card), when i tried to boot my lovely Asus P5Q Deluxe board, the machine would hang early during the boot process. I would see the "Press TAB to enter BIOS" on the bottom of the screen but i could not enter into the BIOS setup.

The weird thing is that i was able to get into the "Express Gate" mini OS - which gave me a good indication that the HW was functioning OK. Maybe the BIOS setting was screwed? Maybe the card i just inserted was causing this error? So i ejected the card and tried to reboot again - no go! Could it be that the card caused a permanent damage? I then tried to reset the BIOS using the on-board jumper. Still the machine would hang during boot time.

After more frustration and card pulling and pushing, i sat to reminisce a little about what i changed since the last boot... hmmm. Then i remembered my webcam - an el cheapo Logitech QuickCam, the shittiest webcam with a real cheap plastic lens. I unplugged the webcam from the USB and the machine would boot!!!

How on fucking earth would a 5$ webcam bring my state of the art Asus p5q deluxe to its knees?

I guess that when the BIOS is configured to support USB, it powers up all the devices and does a basic query for device classes, to search for storage devices to boot from. I don't know if this is a BIOS bug or a device specific bug (i guess the latter because i didn't see this with any other device).

All you readers out there beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment